Especially in the EU, people have rights over the personal data. Unfortunately, companies must follow a complex set of legal and technical procedures when answering users’ requests to access their personal data. This complexity is then transferred onto individuals and becomes an obstacle for people willing to control what’s out there about them.
Chommy removes that obstacle, acting as the personal agent of his users, contacting companies on their behalf and translating their requests into required legal and technical terms that companies seem to understand.
Which rights do you have?
Cutting a rather long story short, your rights (what you can do with your data) can be summarized as follows:
- Receive a copy of your personal data from any company
- Have your personal data deleted from any company’s databases
- Correct your personal data in any company’s databases
- Transfer your data from one company to another
This is a good summary to get started when you tell Chommy what you would like to do with your data.
In practice, things can get a little more complicated but we’re happy to take that complexity on us.
How to use Chommy?
To obtain a copy of your personal data held by any company, follow those steps:
- Create an account with us
- Navigate and pick from which company you want you data back.
- Provide us with the information requested so we can contact companies on your behalf.
If you want to get data back from a company that isn’t listed, or if you wish to do something else with you data (eg. erase it, correct it, etc…), no problem. Tell us on firstname.lastname@example.org.